Car accidents can happen in an instant but leave devastation that lasts for years. From missed work due to injuries to expensive medical bills and vehicle repairs, the ripple effects of a collision spread far and wide.
At Donaldson Law Firm, our Wilmington car accident lawyer is committed to guiding victims through the aftermath of an accident and fighting for maximum compensation so they can move forward.
Our attorney helps car accident victims in Wilmington recover fair compensation for their losses. If you or a loved one has been hurt, contact us today to learn how we can help you navigate the legal process and get your life back on track. You don’t have to handle this alone.
Available Compensation for Car Accident Victims
If you have been injured in a car accident that was caused by another driver’s negligence, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your injuries.
Some of the main types of compensation available to car accident victims include:
- Past and future medical expenses – Bills for hospitalization, surgery, rehab, therapy, prescription medication, assistive devices, in-home care, and more.
- Lost income – Wages lost due to missing work during recovery. Future earning capacity is also recoverable, where disabilities impede career prospects.
Property losses – Repairs or replacement cost for damage to vehicle, personal property, etc.
- Pain and suffering – Monetary damages for physical pain caused by injuries.
- Emotional distress – Compensation for mental anguish like fear, anxiety, stress, PTSD, depression.
Loss of enjoyment of life – Damages relating to loss of mobility, ability to participate in activities or hobbies, fulfilling relationships, etc.
Donaldson Law Firm works tirelessly to quantify all applicable damages and maximize your car accident settlement. Our veteran NC auto accident lawyer has recovered millions for clients injured by negligent drivers.
Proving Negligence in Car Accident Claims in NC
Receiving compensation for car crash injuries hinges on proving the other driver acted negligently. This requires showing the defendant owed a duty of reasonable care, breached this duty through specific negligent actions, and caused your injuries and damages through this breach.
At Donaldson Law Firm, our personal injury attorney can help you build compelling negligence claims by:
- Obtaining police reports indicating contributing factors like distracted driving, speeding, or reckless maneuvering.
- Gathering eyewitness accounts and passenger statements recounting the at-fault driver’s erratic or irresponsible driving behavior.
- Analyzing physical evidence from the scene and vehicles showing negligence like tread marks suggesting speeding.
- Recreating the moments leading up to the crash with simulations and expert testimonies from accident reconstructionists.
- Establishing clear lines between the negligent conduct, the resulting collision, and our client’s measurable damages.
Air-tight negligence claims lead to fair settlements and verdicts. Let Donaldson Law Firm help you maximize your recovery.
Common Car Accident Injuries and Their Impact
The force of a car accident can lead to an array of devastating injuries with long-lasting effects. Some common car crash injuries we frequently see include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries – Even mild TBIs from a concussion cause problems like headaches, dizziness, memory, and concentration issues. Moderate or severe TBIs increase the risk of permanent disabilities impacting cognition, behavior, speech, and movement.
- Spinal Cord Injuries – Damage to the spinal cord frequently causes partial or total paralysis of the arms and legs, loss of sensation, and impaired bodily functions like breathing and bladder control.
- Orthopedic Injuries – Fractures, lacerations, sprains, and amputations often require multiple surgeries and extended physical therapy. Full recovery may not be possible.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder – Many accident survivors develop PTSD after experiencing trauma. Symptoms like anxiety, flashbacks, nightmares, and hypervigilance disrupt daily functioning.
These severe injuries exemplify how a split-second crash can forever change someone’s quality of life. At Donaldson Law Firm, we have seen first-hand how vehicle accidents lead to altered lives. Our attorney fights to help injured clients recover damages that provide for the care and compensation they require due to another’s negligence.
NC Contributory Negligence Rule: What Happens if You Were Partially at Fault?
North Carolina follows a strict contributory negligence system, which bars plaintiffs from any compensation if they bear any fault for the accident. Our firm employs strategic approaches to overcome this challenge.
Our seasoned attorney can help you thoroughly investigate the accident to argue the defendant bears no fault. We can use accident reconstruction experts to establish precise degrees of fault.
So, despite strict contributory negligence, we build the strongest case possible to recover maximum compensation for injured clients. We take on the complexity of proving our client’s actions did not directly cause the accident in order to overcome barred recovery.
What if the Other Driver is Underinsured?
Another common scenario after car wrecks involves insufficient insurance by the at-fault driver to cover losses. Carrying underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage (UIM) on your own policy helps protect you from this shortfall.
If UIM coverage applies, Donaldson Law Firm aggressively pursues maximum payouts from your insurer, just as we would against the other driver’s liability policy.
We also explore other avenues of obtaining compensation when liable parties are underinsured, such as:
- Identifying other negligent entities – for example, government agencies responsible for hazardous roads.
- Assessing potential product liability. Vehicle manufacturers can be liable for defective parts causing accidents.
Subrogating against other insurance policies that may provide coverage.
- Investigating the at-fault driver’s assets and income sources that may be available to seize through legal action.
Our experienced attorney at Donaldson Law Firm is creative and tenacious in seeking full compensation when underinsured drivers cannot cover their losses.
What to Do After a Car Accident
Those injured in a collision often feel confused and overwhelmed. Donaldson Law Firm recommends taking key steps after an accident to protect your rights:
- Seek medical attention immediately, even for seemingly minor injuries. Documenting injuries then is vital.
- Report the crash to the police and cooperate fully with the investigation. Obtain a copy of the police report.
- Take photos of vehicle damage, the scene, road conditions, and your injuries. These help establish liability.
- Exchange insurance and contact information with all other parties involved. Obtain witness contact info as well.
- Contact your insurer promptly to start a claim. Review policies to confirm applicable coverage details.
By preserving evidence and following protocols after an accident, injury victims strengthen their case should they choose to pursue legal action and claims. Donaldson Law Firm can guide clients through important post-accident steps while details are fresh.
Why Should You Choose Donaldson Law Firm?
In the wake of a motor vehicle collision, crash victims and families often feel bewildered about their options or pressured into accepting an insufficient settlement offer. Donaldson Law Firm has a proven record of success in conducting rigorous investigations and evidence gathering to prove liability and damages in car accident cases.
Our attorney leaves no stone unturned in substantiating the true impact the crash has had on a client’s health, well-being, and quality of life. We will demand justice and maximum compensation for injury victims against insurance companies eager to deny or minimize claims. We refuse to be deterred by callous adjusters or aggressive defense counsel.
We move efficiently through the litigation process while ensuring clients make fully informed decisions. We never recommend settling without exploring alternative avenues for maximum compensation.
Injured in a Car Accident? Take the First Step and Contact Us for a Free Consultation
If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident caused by another’s negligence, we invite you to contact our office for a free consultation.
Our experienced personal injury attorney will discuss your options, rights, and next steps at no obligation. Don’t delay – the laws governing car accident cases can impose strict deadlines. Reach out today to learn how Donaldson Law Firm can help you navigate the complex legal system and work toward the financial recovery you deserve.
Contact us to schedule a free consultation.